Jute is a long, Shiny plant base fibre that can be spun into coarse as well as strong threads. It is totally Eco-friendly and biodegradable product. It is a rain-fed crop which is cultivated without the need of any chemical fertilizer or pesticides. It is mainly cultivated in the eastern part of India and Bangladesh. It is natural fibre with golden & silky colour and hence it's called "Golden Fibre". This is the cheapest fibre which is procured from the bast of the plant's stem. Once the crop has been harvested, the fibres are separated from the woody central core by "retting"-a process consisting of bundling jute stems together and immersing them in low running water in canal. The fibrous outer of the plant is then removed and allowed for drying. Once the jute fibres have been dried and are graded according to colour, then processed and spun into yarn which is suitable for weaving.
It has high tensile strength & low extensibility.
This is the second most important fibre after cotton, in terms of usage, production & availability.
Laminated jute is called jute worldwide and jute is popular in the name of burlap in US and Canada. Gunny is another name heavy jute fabrics.
In Europe jute is called hessian and there is another blend fabric called juco. Juco is blend of jute (75%) and cotton (25%).
Jute Has Many Excellent Benefits:
* Grown without Pesticides
* High Tensile Strength
* Jute fibre is highly breathable
* No effect on human skin
* Can be dyed by Basic, Vat & Reactive dyes.
* Heavy Weight and Durable
* Antistatic Properties
* 100% Sustainable & Biodegradable
How jute fibre is removed from jute plant?
- First, cut the jute plant in the field where jute is cultivated
- It is kept for 2–3 days in the field to dry little
- Put them in clean water (mainly pond & canal) but current in water is best for better colour of fabric so canal is best
- After 15–20 days it will be ready to remove fibre from the stalks
- Next, remove the fibre from stalks manually and wash it with water
- Dry it in the sunlight so it can be stored for long time
- Ready to process of jute fabric